Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The beginning of a beautiful friendship

“You know I would never betray you!” His words echoed in my mind. Jake... How could he do this to me? He had promised he’d be there for me. He had promised to spend the rest of his life with me. But no! He had betrayed me. He had broken all his promises.

I stared at the mirror examining myself. I didn’t recognise the girl who looked back at me. She was thinner than ever, as if she hadn’t eaten for months! She had sad tearing eyes reflecting her broken heart. My broken heart! I didn’t recognise my own self!

“Come on Andy!” I spoke to the girl in the mirror. “How could you have changed so much?”

My life had changed rapidly over the past few weeks. I closed my eyes and imagined the first day I got her message... Sarah... That was her name. She had told me that Jake was her boyfriend and that they were having an affair. I didn’t believe it at first. But then, Jake’s behaviour explained a lot. He was seeing another girl behind my back. He wasn’t just betraying me, he was betraying Sarah too...

I had spent endless nights crying over Jake, but I had also continued to do one thing. I had kept in touch with Sarah; the girl who saved my life... from Jake. The girl, whose life was also at a risk. Jake could destroy her life too, in the same way he had destroyed mine. Jake was a player. He had betrayed me, and he could do the same thing to Sarah. I couldn’t let that happen now, could I?

All my happy memories with Jake came back to me when I knelt in front of Jesus in church on Sunday morning. I had prayed and prayed for salvation, for forgiveness, and for me to have the strength to face anything that came my way. My love for Jake would always remain the same, no matter how badly he had hurt me. And if he really did love Sarah, all I could do was to sacrifice my happiness for his, and for hers.

“I’m glad I have you to talk to,” I told Sarah one day. It was the first time we had met. “If it wasn’t for you, I don’t know where I would’ve been by now.”

“Yeah, me too,” she replied back. I stared at her eyes. I knew exactly what she was thinking. How many more girls had Jake deserted? How many girls will he desert in the future? What kind of a future would Sarah have if she really lasts with him? Would Jake always be faithful to Sarah? Did he really love her? These were questions that only God could answer. I closed my eyes and made a silent wish, for the answers to be positive for Sarah.

“Sarah, let’s be friends,” I said. “If anything goes wrong between you two, you can always count on me. I will definitely help you!”

“I don’t understand,” Sarah said, as she looked right at my eyes. “You lost Jake because of me! I took him away from you, and you still want to help me?”

I smiled. This was one thing people would never understand about me. My loyalty and protection towards the people I love. I nodded. “Yes,” I said. “I can help you.” I stared at Sarah as she gazed into my eyes, confusion written all over her face.

“Plus... It will be Christmas in a few days,” I said. “I can manage doing a few good things!”

“But...” Sarah started, but I shook my head and held her hand.

“I’m not angry with you Sarah, nothing is your fault. Jake played around with both of us, and we can’t help it. If there was one person to blame, it’s Jake. Not you, not me, not anyone else!” I smiled at her, as I watched tears curl up in her eyes.

“I can’t do this!” she said. “You love Jake!”

“So do you!” I said. “Sarah, if Jake is happy with you, then I don’t want him back. He can stay with you. You are not a bad person I know that. He’s lucky to have a girl like you.”

“But he hurt you!” she said. She was silent for a while. “You really love him a lot don’t you?”

I nodded. “Yes!” I said. “And, that’s why, I decided to leave him.” I smiled, forcing my tears to go away. Wow! I’m stronger than I thought! However Sarah had tears rolling down her cheeks. “Don’t!” I said, wiping them away. “Don’t cry for me!”

“I don’t know what to say Andy!” Sarah said, as she hugged me. A slight tear escaped the corner of my eye. I wiped it away before pulling back.

“Be happy Sarah!” I said. “And keep Jake happy.” I smiled. “Also remember, if you ever need anything, any help, any advice, simply anything in life, I’m just a phone call away!” Sarah nodded. “So what do you say? Friends?” I asked, stretching my hand towards her.

She smiled as she took my hand. “More like sisters!” she said.

I smiled to myself. This was not the end, I realised. This was just the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Jake may have destroyed my life, but thanks to him, I had found a great true friend.

5 comments: